- About Us
Taylor Memorial Organ
The Taylor Memorial Organ was built by the Welte Organ Company of New York, New York in 1928. The instrument was a gift of Mrs. Alice Bemis Taylor, who was “persuaded by the rector and organist that a splendid organ for Grace Church would be an addition to the community as well as a fitting memorial” to her husband, Frederick Morgan Taylor. For the most part, the specifications of the instrument remain intact from the original project.
The overall style of the instrument is Romantic, meaning that the design creates a warm, rich sound with many orchestral colors, making it highly suitable for use with the Anglican liturgy. In 1998, the organ was selected for recognition as an instrument of exceptional historic merit, worthy of preservation by the Organ Historical Society.
The organ has four manuals (keyboards): Solo, Swell, Great and Choir (from top to bottom on the console); the façade pipes seen in the nave of the church are purely for architectural purposes and the few independent pedal stops are spread between manual divisions. In fact, every speaking pipe of the instrument is enclosed behind shutters, presenting the organist with many expressive possibilities.You can hear the organ here.
In total, there are 55 stops and 3,994 pipes. For more on the organ specifications, click here.
At present, a major restoration project is in progress, incorporating a re-leathering of the entire instrument and re-conditioning of the reed stops.