Rooted on the Frontier
Grace and St. Stephen’s Episcopal Church was the first Episcopal Church in Colorado Springs and is the mother church of all Episcopal parishes in the Pikes Peak region. Formally organized in 1873 as a parish in the Missionary District of Colorado, Grace Episcopal Church was first erected on land donated by the city’s founder, General William Jackson Palmer. St. Stephen’s Episcopal Church was organized some 20 years later and built at the corner of N. Tejon St. and Monument St.
In 1923, the two parishes merged to become Grace and St. Stephen’s Episcopal Church and commissioned the Gothic Revival church building on the site of St. Stephen's (today's parish hall). The building was completed in 1926 and dedicated in 1929 to the jurisdiction and authority of the Bishop of Colorado and his successors in office.
Highlights of our history can be found here.